John Victor Evans, (1895–1957), the son of Henry Howard Evans, general manager of the Cambrian Collieries in Mid-Rhondda, lived at Park Isaf, Cwmdare, where he attended the village elementary school. He was a pupil of the Aberdare County School for just two years, 1908 – 1910, being withdrawn to enrol at Christ College, Brecon. Evans served in the army during World War 1; entered St. John’s College, Oxford and graduated in 1922 with a degree in history; whilst at Oxford he became President of the Union. He became a barrister, lecturer at UCW Aberystwyth, but returned to Aberdare in 1936 to become the first warden of Coleg Gwerin Cynon, (Aberdare Educational Settlement), at Fairfield House, leaving that post in 1939 after the death of his son. A career in the civil service in London followed. He died at home in Dulwich Village, 15 May 1957.
The late Walter T. Morgan, also an Aberdarian, an archivist at the NLW, has written an entry in the Welsh Bibliography Online for J. Victor Evans that gives a full account of his career.