The Williams family of Compton House, Victoria Square.
Owners of one of the town’s largest businesses, the family draper’s shop at Compton House in Commercial Place was founded by David Williams, (1846–1896), who came to Aberdare from the Tondu in the Vale of Glamorgan. David Williams had 14 children and was High Constable in 1893 and 1894. After his death in 1896 the business was eventually continued (around 1907–08), by his son Illtyd Graham Williams (also High Constable in 1921 and 1922) and later in turn by his son Mansel Williams, a good amateur golfer. Another of Illtyd Williams sons was Sir Gwilym Ff Williams CBE, auctioneer and County Valuer, Glamorgan County Council. High Constable 1939–1945 and again in 1953; Knight of the Venerable Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem (April 1968).